The BRTC Art Club sold over 180 items and raised a total of $1,511 during an Art Showcase held Sunday, April 7, in the Randolph County Development Center. According to Dr. Sandy Davis-Baltz, BRTC Fine Arts instructor, over 120 people attended the event that featured artwork and other items for sale by BRTC art students and a musical performance by BRTC’s Kimbrough choir.
All drawings, paintings, and pastels came from current or former students of BRTC art classes. Some also brought used books and unique homemade jewelry and accessories to sell. Baltz painted flower pots in a variety of patterns and provided Art Club T-shirts for the sale as well. She explained that 60% of the proceeds from art sales went to the students responsible for creating the artwork, while the remaining 40% went to the Art Club to help fund its activities, including a trip this weekend to the St. Louis Art Museum.
During the showcase, visitors were able to enjoy free popcorn and sodas provided by the Student Government Association. Homemade cookies and muffins from the Art Club were also for sale. Door prizes were furnished by the BRTC Art Club, Don’s Steakhouse, Premiere Video, BancorpSouth, Integrity 1st Bank, and IBERIABANK.
Art Club member and Fine Arts Theater student Brittany Grooms performed as a mime to entertain the crowd, wandering around the showcase floor and looking at paintings along with the visitors. The Kimbrough Choir held a performance in the auditorium singing songs including “Imagine,” “Let’s Get Loud,” and “Bless the Broken Road.” Some of the choir members surprised Music Director Joniece Trammel with a practical joke during the last song by placing fake mustaches on their faces while her back was turned.
On Monday after the showcase, members of the Art Club and BRTC staff volunteered to run a stand in the student lounge of the administration building to sell items remaining from Sunday’s sale. “This gave students, staff and faculty members who could not attend on Sunday an opportunity to see the Art Showcase’s offerings,” said Baltz.
“I was so thrilled and appreciative of the turnout from the community,” Baltz added. “It was wonderful for so many students to receive payment for their artwork. Besides helping monetarily, it gives them confidence.”