- All applicants will be placed on a list upon receipt of your application by the set deadline. The application, Mental & Physical Abilities Statement and Bars to Licensure acknowledgement form must be completed prior to the assigned deadline. NO INCOMPLETE applications will be accepted! Additional documents that must be turned in include:
- Transcript(s) from all colleges attended
- Letter of Good Standing from any nursing program previously attended
- Notification of nursing entrance test dates will be provided by Dana Clay. Effective 12/20/2016 Students must score a minimum overall of 58.7% on the TEAS to be eligible for the program. There is a $55.00 fee for this test. If an applicant has previously taken the TEAS exam, the date must be at least 6 months from date of retake and can not be older than one year. FYI: To purchase a study guide for the entrance test (TEAS) see www.atitesting.com for information. This is the testing organization that BRTC uses for the entrance exam.
- Meet & Greet: This is for you and your support group, i.e. spouse, parents, kids, friends, etc. This is held the semester before the program begins. Each applicant on the list will be given information regarding this event via e-mail. Please check your e-mail at least weekly.
- Letters will be sent for acceptance, alternate, or denial.
- Letter of acceptance to those who have the top scores. Students must return the formal acceptance to the PN department by the date specified to be registered for program.
- Letter of alternate status.
- Letter of denial and any explanation of ineligibility. You may request an appointment with a nursing faculty/staff member to discuss the reason for denial.
The Practical Nursing Program holds a mandatory orientation before regular classes begin each semester. All students that are selected must attend.
Applications will open on September 1st and are due by October 31st for Spring (January) class. Applications will open on February 1st and are due on April 1st for Fall (August) class.
- Human Growth and Development OR Developmental Psychology
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I with Lab
- Human Anatomy and Physiology II with Lab
- Basic Human Nutrition
- Introduction to Computer Concepts
- Freshman English I
- Math for Healthcare Professionals†
*As of October 1, 2015 there is no longer a time limit on prerequisite courses.
†Prerequisite: Each student must meet the criteria under either (a), (b), or (c) as follows: (a) score 16 or above on the mathematics section of the ACT, ACCUPLACER score of 55 or above on Elementary Algebra, or score 33 or above on the COMPASS Algebra Test; or (b) the student must have earned a grade of “C” or higher in MATH 0023 Introductory Algebra; or (c) transfer into BRTC and be eligible to register for Intermediate Algebra
While the PN program reserves the right to accept students for a Fall class that have not completed all required courses at the time of selection, it is recommended that you only lack 1 course to be completed during the summer sessions. Selection for the program is based on the following: Maximum points available 180 See sample For the Fall 2017 selection process the average overall score was a 147.75.
- Prerequisite GPA=max score 80 points, average GPA for Fall 2017 selection process was 3.77 (overall GPA for all colleges attended must be a 2.0 or above) see sample
- *TEAS Score=max score 100 points, average for Fall 2017 selection process 72.3%. (min score required 58.7%)
*The TEAS exam is based on 9-12th grade science, reading, math and English language comprehension. The 6th edition ATI TEAS study manual and practice exams are available at www.atitesting.com. The exam consists of 170 questions, 20 of which are non-scored pretest items. Each of the four test sections has an individual time limit with a total test time of 209 minutes allotted. Dates for the exam are scheduled twice a year by Mrs. Dana Clay.
Up to 28 of the highest scores are accepted into the program and 5 alternates are chosen. For any additional questions please contact the nursing department at 870-248-4000 ext 4150.