BRTC’s General Studies courses make up what are commonly considered basics, general education core, university core classes. The Associate of Arts degree is the state of Arkansas’s basic transfer degree which is accepted at all public 4-year universities in Arkansas.
General Education Philosophy
Black River Technical College provides core classes to instill general knowledge, skills, and attitudes which are reinforced throughout the entire academic and technical curriculum.
The goals of the General Studies unit are to give students the ability to do the following:
- Communicate accurately and convincingly in written, spoken, and nonverbal forms;
- Develop critical thinking skills by applying perspective, collecting relevant information, and weighing evidence;
- Develop solutions to the problems and complexities of contemporary multi-cultural American society as well as to understand, recognize, and appreciate their roles in a global community;
- Understand physical and cultural history as shaping the present and pointing to the future;
- Discover and modify ideas and personal preconceptions while drawing on the best ideas and discoveries that humanity has thus far produced;
- Apply mathematical reasoning and the scientific method to solving physical and social problems;
- Use technology to discover, organize, and manage knowledge for academic, personal and vocational needs.
The ultimate goal will be to education human beings who are comfortable both within themselves and the world in which they live and who can think and reason independently in such a way they live enriched and full lives.