The Practical Nursing program meets the minimum requirements for approval by the Arkansas State Board of Nursing, University Tower Building, Suite 800, 1123 South University Avenue, Little Rock, AR 72204, (501) 686-2700. The course combines classroom instruction with clinical experience. After graduation, students are eligible to apply to take the national examination (NCLEX) administered by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing for licensure as a practical nurse. All students according to the Nurse Practice Act §17-87-312 will be mandated by state law to be fingerprinted and have a criminal back ground check by the Arkansas State Police and the FBI, at the student’s expense. Persons convicted of crimes may not be eligible to write state board examinations. Completion of this program does not guarantee eligibility to write state board examination according to the Nurse Practice Act §17-87-312.
Individuals interested in enrolling in the program must take the entrance test(s) administered by the college and must have a high school diploma, or equivalent (GED). Prospective students will be required to:
- possess physical and mental abilities essential for safe and effective client care
- sign the Nurse Practice Act Bars of Licensure form
- have a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- pass a drug screen once enrolled in and throughout the PN program
- complete an application for the nursing program
- complete all pre-professional curricula (must have taken no longer than 5 years from application date with the exception of Introduction to Computer Concepts and Freshman English I)
- have an evaluation of GPA on pre-professional courses
- attend orientation on scheduled date
- complete nursing entrance exam on scheduled date. (Approximate cost of exam is $45.00 and is the responsibility of the applicant.)
Once selected, students, top 5 alternates included, will be required to submit to and pass a criminal background check in order to be accepted into the program and attend clinical. The cost of this background check is approximately $60.00 and is the responsibility of the student. Applicants must complete all enrollment requirements and submit all documents to the Director of Admissions/Counseling before the student selection for each class is made. Students are required to purchase liability insurance prior to beginning Clinical Practicum. This insurance is available through a group policy at an approximate cost of $16.00/semester. Additionally, an online testing fee of $145.00 will be required each semester of the professional courses. Students attend a state wide conference for the Arkansas Licensed Practical Nursing Association during each Spring semester. The cost of attendance is $15.00 plus an overnight stay in a hotel.
All advisees for the Nursing program must meet with their advisor each semester. We recommend that you schedule your appointment after mid-term grades have been posted so that we can assess your current class(es) progress. Please bring with you a copy of your degree plan, midterm grades, demographic page, and unofficial transcript to your appointment.